Friday, November 16, 2007

A million dollars or knighthood: what would I choose and why?

This is a question I have thought many times in the recent past.... so I thought I ll enter the world of bloggin just by trying to scribble my thoughts here....

If faced with a tough choice, I would choose knighthood over a million dollars every time!

A knighthood is one of the highest titles an individual can hope to achieve. A knighthood cannot be bought with money, but represents an idea and a thought. It is an honour bestowed for good deeds or abstract qualities that represent the finest aspect of human endeavor. Anybody can get one million dollars through hard work, but knighthood is awarded only to a very select coterie.

A million dollars, also, I suppose, can win me a lot of things. Some of them would be worthwhile---such as philanthropic activities or charity works for the poor and the needy. I would still have some money to improve my own quality of life. I can probably invest it in profitable ventures to generate jobs and wealth.

But what I will not get with a million dollars are much, much more! Money is transitory. It would never achieve me the honour, prestige and freedom to make a limitless positive impact on society.

Knighthood would be the reward of an innovative idea that would help me to blaze a new trail, or lay out a path for coming generations. I can build on the recognition and try to do even better things. Knighthood may not directly provide me with the money I require for charity or a luxurious lifestyle. But with a title, I would be able to fight against evils in society such as corruption, bribery and inequalities. I would be able to persuade wealthy people to donate to the poor, provide education, and help people to enhance their skills.

Thus, both wealth and knighthood can help me to win limitless accolades, but knighthood would confer the extra edge that wealth can never buy.

No comments:

Post a Comment